As some of you already know we’ve submitted an update for Pocket Heroes to Apple and are awaiting their approval for it to go live on the App Store. I’m hopeful that it will be approved today or tomorrow but, unfortunately, there is really no way to know. However, while we wait I’d thought it would be good to outline what the update fixes/enhances about the game so you’ll all know what to expect when it does become available.
1.0.2 Update List
- We’ve added a button to the invite screen labeled ‘Random Player’ this will allow you to randomly invite an existing player of Pocket Heroes without needing to enter a Game Center ID or email address.
- We’ve updated all Status Effects to last an additional turn. We’ve also fixed the problems with the descriptions not matching the expected effect.
- Instead of saying ‘Waiting for your turn…” the game will now display “Waiting on character-name” and tell you which character is holding up the rotation.
- You can see who the other players are and what class their characters are when you join a party ( this is already working as it was a server change. )
- The chat notification has been changed from ‘*Chat’ to ‘*NEW’ and it is now in a yellow font. This makes it much easier to see.
- The music and sound effect preferences in the settings screen now work correctly.
- Added better labels to the register screen so it’s easier to see what information you are supposed to enter.
- Fixed a bug where the game will crash during the monster turn in some games.
- Fixed the issue where some monsters can knock your character into a wall
- Fixed Power Sap so that it restores more mana in the early game and less in the late game. It also now reduces the magical defense of the target so it is more useful in combat.
- Made Smite and Hot Punch more powerful and fixed a bug that wasn’t taking your weapons damage into account when using these abilities. They should be much more useful now.
- I believe we have fixed the dreaded ‘Party Perished’ bug. This is the bug that people tend to get when they are switching levels that will return them to the first quest. I believe it was caused by a network error during the sync and we have put a ton of checks in place to make sure that bad data is rejected. If you still encounter this bug after the update please let me know so I can continue to investigate.
- Fixed the ( somewhat awesome ) bug that would give you multiple items from a treasure chest.
- Ensured that you can’t leave Quest 6 without the proper Quest item in your inventory
- Players now have the ability to decline an invite if they don’t wish to join the party.
- All players are set to accept Random invites, if you don’t want to receive Random invites please turn off this option in the settings screen ( after downloading the update )
- Fixed issues with the Mechie abilities.
- Added a button in the Settings screen that will allow you to manually connect your Game Center ID with your Pocket Heroes account. This should solve the ‘Game Center Invites not appearing’ problem.
- Added the minimum and maximum range of each ability to the ‘Ability Card’ this gives you a better idea of how close you need to be to use each ability in combat.
- Abilities that only target your own character now target your character automatically when you select them from the ability list.
Gold Changes and Single Player?
Still here? That is a pretty large list, I know, but I wanted to let everyone know that we have been working to not only fix issues that people are having but also enhance gameplay. In addition to the list above, I’ve got two more items that I want to share with you before I go.
In the coming week I’m going to make a change to the server ( which shouldn’t require any update lag through Apple ) that will make all of your gold available across characters. Currently each character has their own gold value and if you purchase gold it stays with that specific character. Based on the feedback we’ve received I think it makes sense to pool all the gold based on the player and that’s what we’re going to try and do. So, sometime in the next week or so you should see a spike in the amount of gold each of your characters has, just know that if you spend it all on one character you’re not going to have any more for your other heroes.
The second thing I’d like to bring up is something that I just learned about today. It seems that one of our players has discovered a way to play a two-player game of Pocket Heroes and control both of the characters. This wasn’t planned functionality, but because there are still so many people who are having trouble finding quality partners I’ve decided to go ahead and describe how to do it. If you’ve been having trouble getting a game going, or the game isn’t moving fast enough for you then this may be your solution.
When you start a new adventure you’re required to invite another player by email address or Game Center ID. While we’re adding the ability to invite a random player in the update it’s still not a guarantee that you’re going to find a partner who is going to take their turn regularly. To fix this, one of our players decided to try sending an email invite to the email address that he used to set up his Pocket Heroes account, and it worked! He was able to take his turn and then accept the invite for the other character from the character list and he now always has a turn waiting for him to play.
Like I said, this wasn’t planned by us. It’s an oversight on our part that I’m going to let stand because I want everyone to be able to play Pocket Heroes. It only works for a two-player game, but if you’re interested in playing through the game ‘single player’ give it a try and let me know what you think.
Thanks for reading everyone. Because we’ve had the 1.0.2 update done for nearly a week we’re already working on 1.0.3. As we get a little closer to submitting it I’ll do another one of these posts to let everyone know what’s coming next. If you’ve got any questions just let me know in the comments.